Elsewhere in the hospital:
* Alex showed himself to be a masterful surgeon and also a pretty good boyfriend. Jo got nervous when she discovered that Alex still had access to some frozen embryos he and Izzie stored after her cancer diagnosis. Even amidst trying diligently to save two newborn twins, Alex found time to reassure Jo he was in their relationship for the long-term.
* April continued to reach out to Jackson upon her return to Seattle. Still wounded, Jackson wasn't receptive to her advances. After first discussing changing the locks on their apartment, he ultimately chose to move out instead.
* Bailey continued to act as Meredith's teacher in the negotiations surrounding her new position as Chief of General Surgery.
* Maggie found herself personally adrift after finding out a coworker she'd dated was getting married. She took her angst into the arms of Andrew, a new intern.
* Arizona was proud to continue mentoring Alex and provided him some heartfelt feedback on his professional progress.